A single-dose antibiotic has potential for treating multidrug-resistant gonorrhea


Antibiotic-resistant bacteria are one of the most pressing threats to public health. As a result, a new drug requiring only one dose, acting by a mechanism different from most existing antibiotics, was developed. The drug showed in mouse trials that it could be used to treat multidrug-resistant gonorrhea.

Antibiotics are one of the most important scientific discoveries of the 20th century, ushering in a new era of safer medical procedures for easier treatment of infections.

Unfortunately, this golden moment may be coming to an end, as the misuse and improper use of antibiotics for decades have created new strains of “super” bacteria that become resistant .

Medicine seems to be starting to weaken in this race, because there are now bacteria that cannot be treated with any of the available antibiotics.

One of the leading catalysts for the development of resistance by bacteria is the patient’s failure to complete antibiotic therapy. So to get rid of this barrier, researchers have raised the problem of developing an antibiotic for the bacterium Neisseria gonorrhoeae that causes gonorrhea, which works after just one dose.

Mouse trials of a single-dose multidrug-resistant gonorrhea drug provide hope in the fight against antibiotic resistance. (Artwork image)

“Developing a single dose therapy for gonorrhea is extremely important,” said Ken Keiler, author of the study published in Nature Communications. In some cases, bacteria can become resistant when the extra dose is skipped, for example when the patient starts to feel better and stops taking the antibiotics. With one-dose therapy, the patient can complete the course of treatment ”.

The new antibiotic, called MBX-4132, binds to the bacterial ribosome in a place that no other antibiotic can bind to. In doing so, it appears to replace a specific protein critical to the transcriptional translation that bacteria use to correct errors during protein synthesis.

Christine Dunham, another author of the study, said: “Since transcription occurs only in bacteria and not in humans, we are hoping that the compound’s ability to influence protein synthesis in humans. will significantly decrease ”.

Previously, the team identified a compound that uses this mechanism to fight gonorrhea, but it does not metabolize well when tested in animals. So for this new study, the researchers engineered the compound to be more stable in animals.

And the mouse tests have shown promise. The team used only one dose of the compound on mice infected with the WHO-X gonorrhea strain, and found that within 6 days, 80% of the infected mice eliminated the bacteria completely. Meanwhile, the remaining 20% ​​are still significantly reducing the amount of bacteria.

The new antibiotic is an important developmental aid in the fight against viruses. The team says that this compound may also be active against a host of other bacteria, such as tuberculosis and staphylococcus aureus bacteria.

Huong Giang (Source: New Atlas)

.

Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *