How to properly illuminate greenhouses with LED grow lights
Despite the fact that at any time of the year you can find all kinds of fruits and vegetables on supermarket shelves, many people prefer to grow them the traditional method – in a greenhouse. So you can be sure of the environmental friendliness of the resulting products. But in order for such activities to bear the desired results, high-quality lighting is needed. Many gardeners today use LED greenhouse lights.
Using such lighting devices in a greenhouse, you can get certain advantages, as well as do all the necessary work on the installation and assembly of equipment with your own hands. All you need to know about LED greenhouse lighting is this article.
The value of light for plants
When creating a greenhouse with your own hands, you must remember that for the success of the enterprise, it is necessary to create high-quality lighting of plants. It has long been known that light plays an important role in the processes of photosynthesis, from which plants receive nutrition. Therefore, in order to achieve active growth and development of garden crops in the greenhouse, a certain degree of illumination should be created here.
Artificial lighting (led or other type), which is organized with your own hands, should be as close as possible to the natural solar luminous flux and fully satisfy the nutritional needs of the illuminated plants.
LED grow lights have excellent characteristics today. But before describing their advantages, one should understand the spectrum of light radiation and lighting standards.
Light spectrum for Greenhouse LED grow lights
Scientists, observing plants, found that for different processes they need a different spectrum of light radiation. For growing plants in greenhouses, a luminous flux of the following spectrum is used:
- the wavelength in the spectral range of 450 to 460 nm is violet or blue. When plants are illuminated with such light, they will turn out to be undersized, as well as with a lot of greenery. Moreover, they will be characterized by low productivity;
- the wavelength in the spectral range from 620 to 630 nm is red or orange. Such lighting stimulates the active development of the root system in plants, as well as flowering and ripening of fruits.
Led products are characterized by the fact that LEDs can emit light of a specific color, which have a narrow emission range. Therefore, if you want to get well-developed and fruitful crops, greenhouse lights should contain several types of diodes:
- orange or red;
Having carried out the correct calculation or by empirical selection of a combination of different LEDs, you can select the optimal radiation spectrum for each type of crops grown.
Greenhouse lighting requirements
There are many factors to consider when creating lighting in greenhouses, most of which depend on what kind of greenhouse crops will be grown.
To achieve a high-quality and tasty result, the selection of led products must be carried out competently and taking into account the following recommendations:
- you cannot focus on any one spectrum of light radiation (infrared, ultraviolet, etc.). Artificial lighting should be balanced in this matter. This is due to the fact that excessive infrared or ultraviolet lights. An overabundance of this type of radiation can lead to the death of landings;
- determine the most optimal plant to plant from grow light. Calculation will not help here, so try experimenting;
- compliance with lighting standards. Each variety of cultivated plants has its own biological norm for the level of illumination. This must be taken into account when organizing led backlighting.
Not all greenhouse lighting fixtures can simultaneously meet all the necessary requirements. Therefore, the choice of led type lighting products should be approached very carefully.
Determination of the number of greenhouse LED grow lights for illumination
Many people today prefer to make greenhouse LED grow lights for greenhouses with their own hands. But before starting work, you need to make a calculation. If the calculation was incorrect, then the LED backlight created by your own hands will bring the following negative points:
- with insufficient light flux, plants will develop slowly;
- with an excess of light, the plantings will overheat and bear fruit poorly.
The calculation is based on the following indicators:
- type of light source (LED, ultraviolet, infrared, etc.);
- the size of the room to be illuminated;
- type of crops grown.
For led lighting products, the calculation is based on this ratio: 25W / m2. Based on this ratio, you can quickly calculate the required number of grow lights for a given greenhouse.
Benefits of Using LED Products for Greenhouse Lighting
The most popular light sources at the moment are LED products. Such products are very often used today to illuminate greenhouses. Such popularity of LEDs is based on the following positive aspects:
- the most economical light source. Such products consume the very minimum amount of electricity. Therefore, this type of product will not affect your wallet too much;
- the ability to use both light bulbs and LED strips;
- the ability to create an LED grow light with your own hands, especially when using an LED strip with different diodes by the type of glow;
- such products practically do not heat up. Therefore, they can be used at the very minimum distance from plants;
- lack of warm-up time. After switching on, such grow lights light up instantly;
- resistance of LED products to low temperatures. Therefore, such grow lights will function effectively in greenhouses;
- low voltage products. In addition, this type of luminaire is able to withstand an unstable voltage flow without interruptions;
- long period of work. This aspect applies to both LED strips and LED bulbs. The service life of such products is about 50,000 hours;
- product resistance to vibration and shaking;
- create a diffused luminous flux. Due to this, such grow lights are able to effectively illuminate a sufficiently large area.
Despite such an impressive list of advantages, LED products have one significant drawback – their cost is the most expensive compared to other types of light sources (ultraviolet, infrared, etc.). But by purchasing such a grow light and creating high-quality lighting in the greenhouse, you will very quickly receive dividends in the form of excellent fruits and vegetables.
Arrangement of LED lighting in the greenhouse
Before you organize lighting in this room with your own hands, you need to decide on the type of lighting equipment. There are two types of devices that differ in their operating time.
If there is a need to extend daylight hours by several hours, grow lights of the first type of photoperiodic illumination should be used. If you need round-the-clock nutrition of flora from photosynthesis, you should use lighting equipment related to the second type of constant lighting. Remember that photoperiodization must be maintained in the greenhouse.
When you have decided on the type of device and calculated the number of grow lights for a room with specific dimensions, arranging lighting of any type (LED, infrared and other illumination options), you must carry out the following manipulations:
- install wiring in the room;
- fix lighting devices in certain places;
- connect them correctly to the power supply. When using LED strips in the wiring diagram,
power supplies must be used.
Only after all lighting devices are installed in the greenhouse and the lighting is turned on, the work is completed.
LED products from all currently commercially available light sources (ultraviolet, infrared, etc.) are the best option for lighting a greenhouse. At the same time, using the LED strip as a light source, you can quickly make the desired type of grow light with your own hands and avoid large financial costs for illuminating the greenhouse.